[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Mon May 29 23:01:11 EDT 2006

Axel Roebel wrote:
> I move this thread back into the user mailing list, because this is not
> promotion but interface design. Everybody would suffer if there are any
> errors in the command line interface organization!
>
> On Monday 29 May 2006 19:38, William A. Hoffman wrote:
>

>> Maybe something like:
>>
>> set_variable_property(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX COMMNAD_LINE_OPT "--prefix")
>>

> I don't think a configurable behavior is needed here. It is my opinion that
> there is no need for freedom for these things. It is more important to
> create standards. It should be as easy to type and as standardized as
> possible!

I agree.  There's like, 5 hardwired commands that ./configure users see
all the time, that we could have CMake understand.  That is easy.
Forget about user-specified command line options, for now.  Having the
command line interface be more reminiscent of ./configure is the "low
hanging fruit" from a marketing standpoint.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every