[CMake] Re: a ./configure shell script stub (William A. Hoffman)

Thomas Zander zander at kde.org
Tue May 30 04:05:28 EDT 2006

On Tuesday 30 May 2006 03:30, William A. Hoffman wrote:
> >> set_variable_property(CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX COMMNAD_LINE_OPT
> >> "--prefix")
> >
> >I don't think a configurable behavior is needed here. It is my opinion
> > that there is no need for freedom for these things. It is more
> > important to create standards. It should be as easy to type and as
> > standardized as possible!
>
> I just don't like to have a hard coded list of "short cuts"  as soon
> as you have one, someone will complain that they want one as well, and
> to add one

Maybe a little change in approach will solve some hard-to-crack issues.
If the project manager just runs 'cmake --create-configure' after he made
some changes in the build system, which in turn will generate a configure
script with the projects options then you can put that generated file in
the project svn and the distributed tarballs.

This sticks better with the concept of CMake which is a generator and it
sidesteps  ugliness of having one script that should work for everyone.

When you take that approach then you can think about how to expose
features to the configure script at script-generation time.  This can
range from options passed to adding a command in the CMakeLists.txt like
'expose FOO_BAR "foo bar" [toggle|string]'
--
Thomas Zander