[CMake] What about...

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Fri May 26 11:42:06 EDT 2006

Thomas Zander wrote:
> On Friday 26 May 2006 16:24, you wrote:
>
>>I am not sure I understand what you want to type to do the build?
>
> williamMake would do; of wmake if you want. :)
> Bottom line; I don't care what the name is as long as it _can_ be made
> more usable. Which is impossible with make.
[snip]
> And as I know a little about usability I know that the best way to solve
> the issue is to make it easier to find and type them.
> My first solution there would be to have to most used ones part of a new
> imaginary command;
>  wmake
> with options like:
>   wmake -v
> which ends up doing the same as 'make VERBOSE=true' but be easier to find
> since its visible when the user types 'wmake --help'
[snip]
> The suggestion is to have a command, cmake in the quoted part, wmake in
> the suggestion above, that allows the developer to have a more usability
> friendly front end.

CMake is a build system *generator*, not a build tool.  It generates
files for *native* build tools that do not come with CMake.  The most
common native tool on unix is..."make"!  We have put some effort into
making the Makefile interface nicer but as you said it is somewhat
hopeless to make "make" pretty.

If you do not like the command line interface provided by make then you
have two choices:

1.) Use another interface such as KDevelop and the corresponding
generator in CMake.

2.) Find or write your own native build tool with the command line
interface of your choice and contribute a generator for it to CMake.
This could be an unsermake generator for example.

-Brad