[CMake] Makefile build progress support

Filipe Sousa filipe at ipb.pt
Wed May 24 13:58:31 EDT 2006

Ken Martin wrote:
> I have added progress reporting to the makefile based builds. It is checked
> into CMake CVS and "should" work with any make and parallel builds. The
> percentage done is based on source file counts without knowing if the source
> files are up to date or not. Specifically the progress is not a good
> indicator of time left except for clean builds, it is an indicator of source
> files left to consider and possibly build, if that makes any sense :)
> Progress is supported for the top level all target and for all top level
> cmake executable/library targets. It has had limited testing so let me know
> if it fails etc.
>
> Thanks
> Ken

It's ugly :( but that's my personal opinion

Building CXX object db/CMakeFiles/db.dir/transation.o
  1% complete
Linking CXX static library ../lib/libdb.a
  1% complete
Generating mainwindow.moc.cc
Generating databasedlg.moc.cc
Generating gal.qrc.cc
Scanning dependencies of target gal
Generating mainwindow.ui.h
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/main.o
  2% complete
Generating databasedlg.ui.h
Generating logindlg.ui.h
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/mainwindow.o
  3% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/logindlg.o
  4% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/databasemanagermodel.o
  5% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/databasedlg.o
  6% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/qsql_mysql.o
  7% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/mainwindow.moc.o
  8% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/databasedlg.moc.o
  9% complete
Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/gal.qrc.o
 10% complete
Linking CXX executable ../bin/gal
 10% complete

Wouldn't be better if we put the percentage in the same line:

[ 8%] Building CXX object app/CMakeFiles/gal.dir/gal.qrc.o
[10%] Linking CXX executable ../bin/gal

- --
Filipe Sousa