[CMake] some comments on the LIST command

Andy Cedilnik andy.cedilnik at kitware.com
Thu May 11 13:48:31 EDT 2006

Hi Alex,

Alexander Neundorf wrote:

>yesterday I played a bit with the new LIST command in 2.4.1, and here are
>some comments:
>
>-the REMOVE and REMOVE_ITEMS sub commands, while obvious, are not
>documented in the help

Fixed.

>-in the docs the list variable is sometimes called LIST and sometimes
>called VAR

They should all be really a list variable. So, you cannot say:

LIST(LENGTH "foo;bar" var)

and expect to get 2.

>-why does an access beyond the end of the list fail with a cmake error ?
>I would have expected to get an empty or FALSE or NOTFOUND value. This
>would make using it easier

Should it fail gracefully? What should be the indicator?

>-the LIST command does not work on ARGN. Is this intentional ?

ARGN is special for now because of the way macros are handled. To use it
do this:

SET(myarray ${ARGN})
LIST(.... myarray ...)

> -why is LIST( SET ...) not called LIST(APPEND ... ) ?

I added APPEND. I may take LIST(SET out.

> -is LIST(SET mySrcs foo.cpp) faster than SET(mySrcs ${mySrcs} foo.cpp) ?

List SET/APPEND appends, while SET justs sets to the value.

--
Andy Cedilnik
Kitware Inc.