[CMake] Adding Code::Blocks support

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri May 5 14:03:48 EDT 2006

At 01:33 PM 5/5/2006, Michael Casadevall wrote:

>I would like to add a new generator to CMake adding support for
>Code::Block Project Files, since Code::Blocks, while being an IDE,
>doubles as a full build system which supports quite a few obscure
>compilers such as the Digital Mars compiler that CMake doesn't
>support. I'm currently tracking head, but any tips on adding the new
>generator would be handy, and there a few things I've got questions
>about:
>
>1. Compiler detection - How should this handled. Code::Blocks
>supports up to eight different compilers, and there is no way that I
>can find of detecting which compiler C::B is going to use. I could
>just try in turn every compiler CMake knows how to use, but not fail
>should it not find a usable compiler, and still generate the cbp files.
>
>2. Library detection - See above.
>
>3. Paths - C::B fairly anonying with path placement. The cbp file
>expects to be in the root of the source directory, and although this
>isn't a requirement, odd things sometimes happen (like I've seen C::B
>tell me a path is ../*path to source*, it either requires full paths
>(which I'm unsure if CMake supports) or relative paths.
>
>4. Interworkspace Dependancies - As far as I can tell, Code::Blocks
>doesn't support multiple projects in the workspace
>
>In a lot of ways, Code::Blocks works like KDevelop, so it's a good
>basis for this module.
>Michael C.

I talked with the C::B folks at one point.  They added several features
to C::B to support cmake, but I ran out of time to work on it.
Basically, once you get try-compile to work anything c::b can compile
with should work with the cmake version.  The last time I talked
to them, they added some way to build from the command line, and
a way to make projects depend on each other.  Yiannis Mandravellos
was the person at C::B that I was talking with.

So, if you want to try, I am willing to help, but can't code too
much.   Just send me an email off the list and we can get started.

-Bill