[CMake] sub source groups in a vcproj project.

Sylvain Benner benner at virtools.com
Wed May 3 09:53:44 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm a new user. I want to use cmake for our cross-platform software.
I'm trying to generate a vcproj project with sub source groups but it seems to be impossible with the current version of cmake.
I coded this, but I can't have sub source groups with it :

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# Global description for the source files
#
# Note : The source file with no folder must be put at the top of the list
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SET(VKKERNEL_GLOBALS_SOURCES_DESC

    "Clock Management"
        vkClock.h
        vkClockManager.h
        vkSystemTimeSource.h
        vkTimeSource.h
        source/vkClock.cpp
        source/vkClockManager.cpp
        source/vkSystemTimeSource.cpp
        source/vkTimeSource.cpp

    "Containers"
        vkArray.h
        vkBinaryTree.h
        vkDictionary.h
        vkHash.h
        vkList.h
        vkLockFreeQueue.h
)

# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
# This loop will :
# - add the source files to the source list
# - sort every source file into its project folder (works only for .vcproj projects)
# -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
FOREACH (SOURCE_DESCRIPTION ${VKKERNEL_GLOBALS_SOURCES_DESC})

    IF (${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION} MATCHES "[A-Za-z]*.(h|cpp)$")
        # this is a source file
        #add it to the source list
        SET (VKKERNEL_SOURCES ${VKKERNEL_SOURCES} ${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION})
        # add it to the current folder list
        IF (NOT CUR_FOLDER_LIST)
            # this the first item in the folder list, so no "|" at the start
            SET (CUR_FOLDER_LIST ${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION})
        ELSE (NOT CUR_FOLDER_LIST)
            SET (CUR_FOLDER_LIST ${CUR_FOLDER_LIST}|${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION})
        ENDIF (NOT CUR_FOLDER_LIST)

    ELSE (${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION} MATCHES "[A-Za-z]*.(h|cpp)$")
        # this is a source folder
        # create the source folder
        IF (CURRENT_FOLDER)
            # this is the first time we meet a source folder
            SOURCE_GROUP("${CURRENT_FOLDER}" "${CUR_FOLDER_LIST}")
            SET (CUR_FOLDER_LIST "")
        ENDIF (CURRENT_FOLDER)
        SET (CURRENT_FOLDER ${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION})

    ENDIF(${SOURCE_DESCRIPTION} MATCHES "[A-Za-z]*.(h|cpp)$")

ENDFOREACH(SOURCE_DESCRIPTION ${VKKERNEL_GLOBALS_SOURCES_DESC})

# create the last source folder
SOURCE_GROUP("${CURRENT_FOLDER}" "${CUR_FOLDER_LIST}")

ADD_LIBRARY(vkKernel SHARED ${VKKERNEL_SOURCES})

I looked to the sources of cmake and I found that SourceGroup can have children group but it seems to be not used. Did I miss something ?
If there is no sub source group support in cmake currently, I plan to add it myself with this syntax in the config :

SET(VKKERNEL_GLOBALS_SOURCES_DESC

    "Source Files::Clock Management"
        vkClock.h
        vkClockManager.h