[CMake] cmake 2.2 / 2.4 differences?

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Fri Jun 23 11:26:47 EDT 2006

> Is there a list of important changes between 2.2 / 2.4? (also when
> exactly was 2.4 released?)

Bill did send out and email with the major changes I believe with the 2.4.2
announcement as well as earlier ones. (e.g. must be in the cmake ml archive)

> This also in relation to the official book : "Mastering CMake 2.2",
> how much is "compatible" with 2.4?

The book was finished up around when 2.2.2 was released so it does take into
account some of the changes that were made after 2.2.0. I think 2.4 is fully
compatible (or very very close) with 2.2 except that it adds some
capabilities and compiler support (mainly OSX and VS). For example custom
commands in 2.2 can only have one command while in 2.4 any number are
supported. The book does not cover CPack as that did not exist in 2.2 and is
still evolving in 2.4 with some documentation on the Wiki.

Thanks
Ken