[CMake] newbie trying to run CMake example on WinXP with free toolkit 2003

jecxz jecxz at telus.net
Fri Jun 9 20:35:34 EDT 2006

I am trying on CMake and after downloading and installing it on my WinXP
system, I'm now trying to use the Hello/Demo example using the MS free
C++ toolkit 2003. I have used this kit now for quite a while, so I'm
confident it is all installed and working.

In the main example dir I have run Cmakesetup, selected "Configure",
selected "NMake Makefiles", "Configure", then "OK"

No errors reported.

Then I ran "cmake ." and got:
-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
-- Using FREE VC TOOLS, NO DEBUG available
-- Configuring done
-- Generating done
-- Build files have been written to:
C:/pkg/c/cmake/cmakeExample/CMakeExample

Assuming this meant no problems, I the run
nmake all
with this output:

C:\pkg\c\cmake\cmakeExample\CMakeExample>nmake all

Microsoft (R) Program Maintenance Utility   Version 1.50
Copyright (c) Microsoft Corp 1988-94. All rights reserved.

Scanning dependencies of target Hello
'C:\Program' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINXP\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x1'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINXP\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.
NMAKE : fatal error U1077: 'C:\WINXP\system32\cmd.exe' : return code '0x2'
Stop.

Certainly looks like the  problem is a space in the command line, but I
have no clue why, how to
fix it or even where to look as I'm quite new to the 'behind the scenes'
activities of CMake.

I'll keep looking and poking, but would appreciate any pointers about
what I missed or messed, or ideas to try.

TIA