[CMake] Question about Windows support.

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Jun 2 13:30:58 EDT 2006

At 12:38 PM 6/2/2006, Bennett Smith wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I'm just starting to learn cmake, and am wondering what the level of
>on-going support is for the Windows platform.  A couple things that I
>am hoping cmake can do are:
>
>1. Handle generation of library and executable targets with different
>names for debug and release configurations.

This is done in CMake 2.4.2

>2. Handle pre-compiled header files with Visual C++.

This has been done, but is not directly supported.

>3. Handle COM *.idl files and the invocation of MIDL.

This can be done but is not directly supported.

>4. Handle manifest files in association with executables.

CMake 2.4.2 does this.

>I have not been able to find any discussion and/or examples of how
>cmake addresses these issues.  I have searched through the bug
>database and it looks like there are some issues related to the above
>mentioned items.  Some of these issues were posted back in 2004, and
>it doesn't look like anyone has been actively working on them.

The bug tracker is in serious need of clean up.....

>In general, are people using cmake for Windows projects?  Who are the
>active contributors to the windows specific aspects of cmake?  Can
>anyone offer some historic perspective on how well the Windows
>platform is supported by cmake in general?

Windows Visual Studio is one of the major platforms for CMake, and is
very actively supported.

-Bill