[CMake] EXECUTE_PROCESS too good at running programs

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Fri Jul 21 16:57:26 EDT 2006

William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 04:21 PM 7/21/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>
>> My test is plenty reliable.  I have ***makeinfo***, not makeinfo.exe.  Please read *ALL* the details of my post.  There are ~30 tools in E:\msys\1.0\bin that do not have .exe suffixes, run fine under a MSYS shell, and are not intended to be run under anything but a MSYS shell.  EXECUTE_PROCESS is finding a way to run them.  My wild-assed-guess as to explanation, is that it execs arbitrarily named files, and does not check whether the filename is valid for a Windows command prompt.  These MSYS tools are probably valid apps in some Windows-native sense, but not to a Windows command prompt.
>>
> My msys has a makeinfo.exe and not a makeinfo.

I'm sure you and Brad do.  That doesn't mean an installation with plain
old "makeinfo" is invalid.  For instance, I believe I may have built and
installed makeinfo from source, under the MSYS shell.  It works fine
under MSYS shell and the CMake MSYS generator, no problemo.  As I said
in a previous e-mail, there are 30 tools in my E:\msys\1.0\bin that do
not have .exe suffixes.  I believe I obtained them from standard MSYS
tarballs; I certainly didn't compile them.  This is a general problem
for MSYS and VC++ interactions.  It is not specific to my particular
"makeinfo".

> Cygwin:
>
> $ ls /cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/makeinfo.exe
> /cygdrive/c/msys/1.0/bin/makeinfo.exe

Not relevant; let's not add any Cygwin shell issues here.

> msys:
>
> Hoffman at VOGON /bin
> $ ls -l makeinfo.exe makeinfo
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Hoffman  Administ   180224 Mar 16  2004 makeinfo
> -rwxr-xr-x    1 Hoffman  Administ   180224 Mar 16  2004 makeinfo.exe
>

> But from dos there is no makeinfo:
> C:\msys\1.0\bin>dir makeinfo.exe
>  Volume in drive C has no label.
>  Volume Serial Number is 78BB-7820
>
>  Directory of C:\msys\1.0\bin
>
> 03/16/2004  01:32 PM           180,224 makeinfo.exe
>                1 File(s)        180,224 bytes

This dual nature is interesting, but as my installation demonstrates, a
singular nature is also possible.

msys:

Brandon J. Van Every at KAHLO /bin
$ ls -l makeinfo*
-rwxr-xr-x    1 Brandon  Administ   180224 Apr 30  2004 makeinfo

Windows command prompt:

E:\msys\1.0\bin>dir makeinfo.*
 Volume in drive E is MONDRIAN
 Volume Serial Number is 9CA0-CADF

 Directory of E:\msys\1.0\bin

04/30/2004  11:15p             180,224 makeinfo
               1 File(s)        180,224 bytes
               0 Dir(s)  11,499,442,176 bytes free

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every