[CMake] Getting Started Questions

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Mon Jul 10 22:37:41 EDT 2006

On 2006-07-10 17:25-0400 Peter Kahn wrote:

> Are there any other methods of for me to better understand cmake idioms in a
> large scale project?  I'm trying to do that Bruce Eckel 'Thinking in Cmake"
> kind of thing....

KDE is an extremely large-scale project so you might want to look at what
they have done. I agreed with many of the autotools observations made in the
article at http://lwn.net/Articles/188693/ by Alexander Neundorf about KDE's
transition from autotools to CMake.  So inspired by that article I am in the
midst of a project to transform the build system of the PLplot scientific
plotting software from autotools to CMake.  Because KDE has just gone
through this process themselves, I use their CMakeLists.txt files and module
files (accessible by anonymous svn) as sources of ideas backed up by the LJ
CMake article/tutorial and the cmake man page.  So far I am having success
with the PLplot components I have tried to configure and build with CMake,
but there is still some way to go because PLplot has many different kinds of
components, and I am only 4 days into the project.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).