[CMake] Where to find consistent documentation about CMake ?

Sagnes, Frederic frederic.sagnes at siemens.com
Wed Jul 5 03:01:33 EDT 2006

Hello,

I'm getting used to CMake to build a cross platform project on Windows and Linux, and it really seems to be quite powerful. But the documentation provided on the website is really minimalist, rough (no topics, no real examples ...) and incomplete (no summary of all internal variables and their meanings, some commands are not clearly described ...). I'm really feeling like I'm missing a big part of the magic behind CMake. We could buy the book, but I'm working in a corporate environment and it would take weeks until I get it.

Did I miss something or the only available documentation is the command-line generated one, the FAQ and the Wiki?

Here are a few question I couldn't answer by reading the documentation:
* How can I be sure to link statically on Unix when using the FIND_LIBRARY primitive?
* How can I raise an error message and stop the generation (when a library I'm depending on is not available for instance)
* Can I use an intern variable so that CMake can automatically raise the compiler error checking level (like CMAKE_CXX_WARNING_LEVEL for Visual Studio), and add for instance -Wall and -pedantic to the GCC command line?
* How does CMake handle release/debug profiles with Unix Makefile generator?

I have some more questions I don't remember right now, but put straightforward: a consistent documentation would be of a great help for beginners like me.

By the way, congratulation for the KDE switch to CMake, that's what brought my attention to your really helpful project ;)

Regards,

Frédéric Sagnes, Siemens AG Karlsruhe