[CMake] Native build system invocation

Thompson, David C dcthomp at sandia.gov
Tue Dec 26 02:06:08 EST 2006

>> ... you might be interested in using
>>  the value of CMAKE_GENERATOR. There's a list of the values
>>  it takes on, as well as some information about scripts that
>>  Kitware uses to automate builds on the CMake Wiki:
>>     http://www.cmake.org/Wiki/CMake_Scripting_Of_CTest
>>  You could have CMake write the value of CMAKE_GENERATOR to
>>  a file that your python script reads after invoking CMake
>>  and uses to run the native build system.
>
> I think I have better idea: is it possible to create
> "compile" test with CTest? This test does nothing, just
> compiles all projects in debug\release mode.
The problem is that compile tests are run before
CMake has generated configuration files, etc. So you
would not be able to take advantage of
- your build settings unless you use CONFIGURE_FILE
  with the IMMEDIATE keyword to guarantee the files
  are created as CMake parses the CONFIGURE_FILE command;
- CMake's ability to compute dependencies, since
  TRY_COMPILE is run during CMake's configuration phase.

> CTest also aware of native build system so it seems like
> a perfect solution to me.
This is much more feasible. In fact, Kitware has a CMake test:
http://public.kitware.com/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/Tests/SimpleInstall/?root=CMake
that runs nightly and appears to install itself as well.

    David