[CMake] PKGCONFIG backward compatibility on CVS trunk.

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Sat Dec 9 13:10:25 EST 2006

On 2006-12-08 19:17-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

> Michel Hermier wrote:
>>

>>> Anyway maybe the inclusion of the file should also be restricted by some
>>> version compatibility checking ?
>>> So that a project say by macro that it requires a 2.4.5 compatibility
>>> and only warn about the deprecated helper file and/or macro, while a
>>> macro not saying it will output a error message on deprecated file
>>> usage, and skip the content definition ? So that it helps version
>>> migration ?
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>>    Michel
>>>
>> Any news ? Seems not commited ?
>>
> I don't think the patch will fix the \n problem that was in the old module,
> it just puts it back like it was.

Yes, but that is an excellent advance on 2.4.5 since it guarantees backwards
compatibility (which Michel showed we didn't have before) and also gives
access to the new improved macros.

Bill, since you feel strongly about the \n issue, I could generate another
patch replacing \n by a single blank (not an empty string because in some
cases that would turn a TRUE response into FALSE), but I would need help
with the necessary CMake syntax for that transformation. I assume
STRING(REGEX REPLACE ...) would be what you recommend, but I am not sure
about the syntax for recognizing the \n special character.  Once, I get a
demonstration about how to change \n to a single blank in a string, then I
would be willing to revise my patch to include such filtering of all
PKGCONFIG output. Alternatively, it might be quicker if you simply applied
my patch to CVS and put in the additional filtering yourself.

Anyhow, could we finish off this issue?  I hate to see something so close
to solution hang fire like this.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).