[CMake] Automatic INSTALL?

Brandon J. Van Every bvanevery at gmail.com
Thu Dec 7 13:32:15 EST 2006

Anders Sundman wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Can you configure cmake to perform an install automatically?
>
> Today, when we generate a VC-project we get an INSTALL target which
> installs the program when explicitly built. But when we execute a
> "build solution", the install target is not run. The following message
> is given:
>
> 3>------ Skipped Build: Project: INSTALL, Configuration: Debug Win32
> ------
> 3>Project not selected to build for this solution configuration
>

> How can we get the INSTALL target to run on the "build solution" event?

I don't have an answer.  I thought I'd comment that being able to treat
the "install" target as a first class target would be useful for cases
like this.  If that was available, one could simply do
ADD_DEPENDENCIES(all install).  I wanted to use "install" as a
dependency for some post-installation events, like running the
chicken-setup I'd just installed, and then installing a bunch of chicken
"eggs" with that.  I couldn't do it in the straightforward way because
"install" isn't a first class dependency target.  In fact, doing so
caused CMake 2.4.3 to crash.  The crash got fixed for 2.4.4 though.

Cheers,
Brandon Van Every