[CMake] FindPerlLibs.cmake and FindSwig.cmake outdated!

Axel Roebel Axel.Roebel at ircam.fr
Tue Dec 5 18:04:14 EST 2006

Hi,

I just started to add swig support to our project
http://sourceforge.net/projects/sdif. The project supports
swig bindings to perl, python and java.

I instantly tried the available
cmake modules: notably FindSWIG.cmake
and FindPerlLibs.cmake

I was pretty astonished to find that these
two  macros do not work at all, because most of the
important information that is necessary
to find the components is hardcoded
using fixed version numbers (that are already out of date)

I added patched version of these macros to  bug reports 4145
 4146 in the cmake bug database. These patched versions
are completely backwards compatible (they use the wrong and fixed path
locations first before they fall back to the new scheme and use
the same variables to communicate results)

The idea of the new procedure is to base everything on the FIND_PROGRAM
macros that searches for the perl/swig binaries
and (if found) asks the binary via inplace scripts (perl)/command line options
(swig) all the directory locations that are needed.

This approach is very flexible because by simply setting PERL_EXECUTABLE or
SWIG_EXECUTABLE on the command line (or the cmake gui)
one can select an arbitrary perl/swig version
that is installed on  the system.

Any comments or  volunteers to try?

--
Axel Roebel