[CMake] PKGCONFIG backward compatibility on CVS trunk.

Alan W. Irwin irwin at beluga.phys.uvic.ca
Tue Dec 5 17:43:13 EST 2006

On 2006-12-05 16:54-0500 Bill Hoffman wrote:

>> I checked the generation of the qca.pc file and it was not updated for 2
>> month so it was definitely working before the update. And to be really
>> sure I reverted to the old file, and now it works again for me and when I
>> look at the code again, it definitely doesn't do the same thing.
>> It seems the code don't react on the correct variables. It use
>> _PKGCONFIG_TMP_INCLUDE_DIRS and _PKGCONFIG_TMP_LIBRARY_DIRS, where it
>> should use the _PKGCONFIG_TMP_INCLUDEDIR and _PKGCONFIG_TMP_LIBDIR, well
>> at least the correct variable seted by pkg-config arguments wich are
>> --variable=includedir and --variable=libdir.
>> Hope I digged enougth so that it can be correct ;)
> We are getting closer I am sure.... But, I am still not clear what the
> problem is here....
> What variables are wrong and what should they be?

I just grepped through the installed modules directory and confirmed that
the prefix _PKGCONFIG_TMP does not occur in any CMake-2.4.5 modules.  That
variable prefix only occur in the cvs version which means that Michel must
be comparing old CVS with recent CVS rather than 2.4.5 with recent CVS.
For the cvs version I made the change noted by Michel to keep backwards
compatibility with what the old PKGCONFIG module did in 2.4.5.

Michel, please compare 2.4.5 with recent CVS to see if the behaviour of
PKGCONFIG is the same.

Alan
Alan W. Irwin

package (plplot.org); the Yorick front-end to PLplot (yplot.sf.net); the
Loads of Linux Links project (loll.sf.net); and the Linux Brochure Project
(lbproject.sf.net).