[CMake] cmake license question (Was: CMake Modules)

Jamie Jones hentai_yagi at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 31 04:44:04 EDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-31 at 00:54 -0700, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Jamie Jones wrote:
> >
> > It is rather clear that you don't like the GPL, that's fine - but
> > ultimately the module authors decide what to license their work as.
> > Really, you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
> >

> Not really.  The point about what commercial people are willing to use,
> has gone in one of your ears and out the other.  I prefer to see
> archives of useful CMake stuff get adopted by the maximum number of people.

Please don't confuse commercial with proprietary. It's quite possible to
be commercial and open source.

I do see your point, but it is a non-issue as far as I can see. Checking
the license on code you wish to use is normal due diligence, and any
company that fails to do that, rightfully so deserves to be sued out of
existence. Companies that are concerned about GPL code "tainting" their
proprietary products should not be mis-appropriating GPL code, or indeed
any code under a "copyleft" style license.

Do you believe that having GPL build scripts requires you to distribute
the source to the application ? If so you are quite mistaken. You only
need to distribute the source to the build scripts. I don't see any way
you can possibly link the build scripts to the application's executable,
that would require you to distribute the applications source.

When I first started making cmake modules, I had to look around for
examples. All those proprietary applications - I'm sure they have lots
of useful cmake modules, unfortunately we can't use those modules
because they are proprietary and the source is locked away. As a new
user that was very frustrating - I would much rather see those modules
under a license where they are not locked away, so that anyone that
wants to, can use and improve on them. In the end, I think this will
help users choose cmake over alternatives.

In the end, I think the only thing that we can agree on, is that we
agree to disagree.

Regards,
Yagisan
--
Jamie Jones
Proprietor
Email: eyagi.consulting at gmail.com
Web: http://www.eyagiconsulting.com

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209