[CMake] cmake license question (Was: CMake Modules)

Jamie Jones hentai_yagi at yahoo.com.au
Thu Aug 31 02:24:17 EDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-08-30 at 16:11 -0400, Brad King wrote:
> Joerg Mayer wrote:
> > cmake itself is 4-clause BSD license (including the advertising clause)
> > which is incompatible with GPLv2.
>
> The CMake license should be free enough to allow you to copy and modify
> the code and redistribute it under any license you choose as long as the
> original notice appears.  What wording are you claiming is incompatible?
>
> If it is the endorsement clause, that is just saying that you can't
> claim Kitware endorses and supports your project just because you're
> using CMake (don't put the CMake or Kitware logo on the product without
> permission).  It doesn't say you can't advertise that your project uses
> CMake in the first place (disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer).  Does this
> really conflict with GPLv2?
>
> -Brad

It is the advertising clause - the one that usually looks like this:

3. All advertising materials mentioning features or use of this software
   must display the following acknowledgement:
     This product includes software developed by the University of
     California, Berkeley and its contributors.

It requires every single contributor that puts there name there to be
listed. It can get quite unwieldy if there are many contributors.

The endorsement clause itself is fine.

Regards,
Yagisan
--
Jamie Jones
Proprietor
Email: eyagi.consulting at gmail.com
Web: http://www.eyagiconsulting.com

GPG/PGP signed mail preferred. No HTML mail. No MS Word attachments
PGP Key ID 0x4B6E7209
Fingerprint E1FD 9D7E 6BB4 1BD4 AEB9 3091 0027 CEFA 4B6E 7209