[CMake] Linking directories on a "sub" CMakeLists

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Aug 22 11:00:13 EDT 2006

Xavier Larrode wrote:
> Hi all
> i'm using cmake to compile lots of different libs, with ADD_SUBDIRECTORY...
> And i've got a problem with a "sub" CMakeLists and linking my new lib
> with other libs.
>
> my CMakeLists :
> [...]
> SET(INSTALL_LIB_HOME  ${GVTROOTDIR}/lib)
> LINK_DIRECTORIES(${INSTALL_LIB_HOME})
> TARGET_LINK_LIBRARIES(PieMenu
>  RelationPosition
>  OMKInputHandler)
> SET(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS "${OMK_CFLAGS}")

The LINK_DIRECTORIES command must appear before the ADD_* command for
the target that needs the link directories.  CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS works
differently by applying the final value of the variable in the directory
where the ADD_* command appeared.  This inconsistency is historical, so
by convention you should set CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS before the ADD_* commands too.

-Brad