[CMake] "simple test program" does not consider LINK_DIRECTORIES

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Aug 10 09:09:15 EDT 2006

At 06:54 AM 8/10/2006, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
>William A. Hoffman wrote:
>>
>>CMake relys on a correctly installed compiler.   If you can create a simple project with the VS GUI,
>>and it works, and CMake does not, then it is CMake's fault.  If you create the simple project with
>>the VS IDE and it can not find key libraries from the SDK, then your compiler is not installed correctly.
>>

>Well, the console app wizard also choked on user32.lib.  I don't know why the PSDK paths were not installed.  It wasn't anything I did.  This leads me to believe it's something about my machine and the history of what's been installed on it.  If I had the time, I'd try installing on a virgin machine and see what happens.  But I don't.  I've also found it very difficult to Google about this issue, whether it's a known behavior, or a known installation bug.

I have never seen or heard of the problem you are having with VS 2003.

>>BTW, the professional versions of the compiler do install and ship with the SDK.
>
>I have VS .NET 2003 Professional.  My E:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio .NET 2003\Vc7\PlatformSDK directory only contains 75MB of stuff.
>As you can see from http://www.microsoft.com/msdownload/platformsdk/sdkupdate/psdk-full.htm a proper PSDK is quite large.  It is typical for people to install a "better" PSDK than what is shipped with VS.  The case use of VS by itself is probably infrequent, so it wouldn't shock me if there are bugs in how the PSDK is set up.

But user32.lib is not part of any extended sdk.   It is part of the core windows sdk, and comes
with VS .NET 2003.   Anyway, sounds like you have a bad installation for some reason.
It is not the norm for VS .NET 2003.  However, the express version does not install the SDK,
it is a separate step, and often times people do not follow that extra step.  So, the express
version has this problem often, but it is not a CMake problem.

-Bill