[CMake] Submitting patches to rely on external libraries for certain platforms

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Wed Aug 9 22:44:27 EDT 2006

At 07:26 PM 8/9/2006, Matt Rogers wrote:
>Hi,
>
>Would the CMake developers be interested in patches that allows people to use
>their already installed libraries such as curl, expat, libtar, etc. on
>certain platforms and fallback to the in-source libraries if they're not
>installed?
>
>Initially, I think this would be great for unix/linux based platforms that
>generally come with these libraries already installed or very easily
>available and then can be extended out into the windows world later (when I
>have information on how to actually do it?

Sorry I don't think we would be interested, and we would like to discourage
such efforts.  There is the occasional bug fix in the CMake version of these
libs.   I don't want to be tracking down odd problems on platform X and find out
at the end of the day it was a curl bug from the platform.  Also, I am not sure what
you would get out of this.   CMake would build a bit fast and use a little bit less
disk, but those "C" libraries build really quick anyway.

However, I suspect that your motivation comes from your desire to integrate CMake
into KDevelop which will use the system libraries, or some of its own.   If that is the
route that we take with the KDevelop CMake integration, then we would be more accommodating.

-Bill

-Bill