[CMake] Developing an externally usable API for CMake

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Wed Aug 9 02:26:10 EDT 2006

Hi,

Von: Matt Rogers <mattr at kde.org>

> On Wednesday 02 August 2006 10:05, you wrote:

> > What kind of information do you need?  What is an example feature in
> > KDevelop that would intereact with CMakeLists.txt files?
> >
> > -Brad
>
> Everything. I get information on what the source files are, what's being
> built
> in the way of binaries and libraries, etc. Target dependencies will
> eventually be pulled in (what libraries are linked with the target, the
> definitions used in the directory, etc.) Basically, whatever
> CMake/CPack/CTest supports, KDevelop will support (eventually).

What about writing a generator, which creates (XML) files which contain all required information ?
These files could be easily processed by kdevelop (and any other IDE), *and* they could be used as input for a not-yet-existing new build tool.
This build tool would replace make (not cmake), come in the form of a library (so that it can be used by IDEs) together with a small CLI client, and have features like colored output, progress reporting, advanced distributed compiling etc.

Bye
Alex