[CMake] installation directory not created on MSYS

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Tue Nov 22 11:52:47 EST 2005

Brandon J. Van Every wrote:
> Here's what surprises me.  Under the Windows command prompt, C:/Program
> Files/Chicken is created if it doesn't exist already.  But under MSYS,
> /usr/local/bin is *not* created if it doesn't exist already.  Moreover,
> the failure is silent, no error is given.  The install says it's
> installing, with pathnames echoed and so forth, and it doesn't actually
> do what it says it's doing.  The output:
>
> $ make install
> Running cmake script file cmake_install.cmake
> -- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken.exe
> -- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken_profile.exe
> -- Installing /usr/local/bin/chicken_setup.exe
> -- Installing /usr/local/bin/csc.exe
> -- Installing /usr/local/bin/csi.exe
>
> I find that when I type "mkdir /usr/local" on the MSYS command line, it
> works.  However, "mkdir /usr/local/bin" does not work.  I deduce that
> "mkdir" is too stupid to create anything more than one directory level
> deep?  Is this generally true of Unix?

Use "mkdir -p /usr/local/bin" to make all the parent directories as
necessary.

 > And, in this event, shouldn't CMake deal with it?

Yes, of course, and it should report an error on failure.  Please submit
a bug report here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

By the way, I'm glad someone is using CMake in MinGW/MSYS.  It hasn't
been widely used to my knowledge so I'm not surprised it's a little buggy.

-Brad