[CMake] New Makefile generator in CVS

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Thu May 12 12:46:54 EDT 2005

> Already again a new makefile generator after the new makefile generator
> introduced in cvs after cmake 2.0 ? What are the major changes ?

The idea is to figure it out prior to releasing CMake 2.2. If this works
then the UnixMakefileGenerator2 will be removed. This one makes very limited
use of recursive make and has full knowledge of the project so that
dependencies between targets can be handled properly. The biggest issues it
fixes are:

1) parallel builds sometimes would fail due to multiple simultaneous jump
rule invocations

2) excessive recursive makes were slow then necessary (although I'm not sure
that was really a big issue)

We want to try this out and see if it works and the different "makes" can
handle it. In many ways it is an evolution of the current CVS makefile
generator the changers were just too big to do without creating a new one.
This approach is a little cleaner as well at the end of the day.

Ken