[CMake] subdirs and depenency handling

Alexander Neundorf a.neundorf-work at gmx.net
Tue May 10 13:19:29 EDT 2005

You wrote:
> This version of adding a subdirectory provides the behavior most users
> expect from SUBDIRS..in-order processing.  The idea of the syntax is to
> say "add a subdirectory to the build tree" just like one says "add a
> library" or "add an executable".  The optionally separate source
> directory allows sources from outside the tree to be included in the
> build.  Overall the command is significantly more powerful than the
> SUBDIRS command. It is definately not a hack; it is the right way to do
> things.  The PREORDER option can probably be considered a hack, but it
> is necessary until a global makefile system is in place.
>
> -Brad

Hmm, ok.
Still it feels to me strange to have to mix a single SUBDIRS() command
with several ADD_SUBDIRECTORY() commands, since both do almost the same
thing, with some subtle differences you wouldn't think of in the first
moment.
Couldn't this be somehow integrated in the SUBDIRS() command, maybe
combined with SET_DIRECTORY_PROPERTIES() or something like that ?

Bye
Alex

--
+++ Neu: Echte DSL-Flatrates von GMX - Surfen ohne Limits +++
Always online ab 4,99 Euro/Monat: http://www.gmx.net/de/go/dsl