[CMake] Start compiles with cmake platform independently?

wedekind wedekind at caesar.de
Thu Jun 30 05:15:53 EDT 2005

Hello all,

CMake is a great Makefile-generator :) I do not know whether I have
understood its purpose correctly, but is it possible to start compiles with
cmake too? Cmake "knows" the compiler/maketool of the platform and all the
flags and stuff. So it should only be logical to use cmake to run a build,
right? It would make build-scripts more portable since they only need to
call "cmake CMakeLists.txt" or something like that to build a project on
different platforms...

What is your opinion about it? I should add that I am new to cmake and do
not know all the details yet, what about this TRY_COMPILE-instruction? When
is it called? Do you have an example which illustrates the use of this
feature?

Thanks

Marco