[CMake] custom commands and dependence problems

Bradley Lowekamp blowekamp at mail.nih.gov
Fri Jun 17 12:01:03 EDT 2005

That looks like some good documentation there. Quite useful. However,
as I was saying my build is a bit more complicated. I uses to do things
quite similar to that. I can't any more. So I have tried to changes
things a little bit to get it working. The additional complication is
that at this point of the cmake code I don't know all the cpp files
that will depend on the generated header files. So I am trying to make
a general target that the other source files can depend on when I know
what the source files are. I have tried a couple of solutions. And both
of the changes didn't work. When I then simplified things, to a bit of
CMake code that did not work the way I expected, I have posted that
code. I would like to know if this code SHOULD work, or what am I not
understanding about cmake.

This is the other post related to this problem:
http://www.cmake.org/pipermail/cmake/2005-June/006659.html

Thanks

On Jun 17, 2005, at 11:41 AM, Brad King wrote:

> Bradley Lowekamp wrote:
>> Hi Brad,
>> I do not under stand what property you are recommending me getting
>> here. The purpose of this code it to try to add dependencies of
>> source  code to generated header file. Lets just say this is a
>> greatly  simplified version of what I am trying to do :)
>> Can source files depend on custom targets which don't generate files?
>> Also I have posted a response to my on post, when I tried to get this
>>  dependency working under the assumption that they can't.
>
> I've updated this FAQ entry to explain how generated headers work:
>
> http://public.kitware.com/Wiki/
> CMake_FAQ#How_can_I_generate_a_source_file_during_the_build.3F
>
> -Brad

Bradley Lowekamp
Management Systems Designers Contractor for
National Library of Medicine
'blowekamp at mail.nih.gov