KDE & CMake (was Re: [CMake] the remaining problems with compiling KDE with cmake)

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Thu Jun 16 15:11:08 EDT 2005

> - flex/bison   OK

This can be done with some custom commands and macros.   Although for
most of our projects we add the generated source to cvs so that you can build
it on windows without those tools.   It is easy to make it run them if they are
present and use the checked in source if not.   We do this when we build gcc for
gccxml with cmake.

>  - --compile-slots, like in unsermake  ????

> if I understood this correctly, this is like make -j, but it links only
> in one process, only the compiling works in more processes. This is
> useful for network-compiling (distcc, icecream, etc.). I guess you can't
> do anything about this, since this depends on the buildtool.
make -j can do this.  Also distcc can be used with cmake, also with the Xcode
generator it supports this.  So, if the native build system has it, so do we.

>> Ordered by significance (from my impression):
>> 1) the all-upper-case commands look ugly to several developers

I think we can change cmake so that upper or lower case commands work.

>> 2) several developers prefer python

Not much we can do about that.

>> 3) there are already some KDE apps using scons (rosegarden I think)
>>
>> I have another question:
>> can ctest be used with svn ?

Yes ctest does work with svn.

So, I guess we need to have the pros of cmake:

1. It works on a standard windows install of visual studio.
I assume scons uses the command line cl which is not configured by default.
Users can use an IDE to build if they want to.

2. CMake has ctest and dashboard support.

3. CMake does not require python to be installed.

-Bill