[CMake] Using CMake as a VC7 workspace generator with external makefiles

Richard Maunder Richard.Maunder at cern.ch
Wed Jun 15 10:32:31 EDT 2005

Hi,

A slightly unusual question...

We have a project with it's own makefile/config script based build
system. For all sorts of reasons this can't be converted over to CMake.
However we have no VC7 .sln/.prj generated under Windows, and I wondered
if CMake could be used to generate these. Ideally what I'd like to do
is:

i) Create a top level CMakelist.txt => .sln

ii) Use ADD_SUBS for each of our module subdirectories, containing a
simple
CMakelists.txt, which collects (FILE_GLOBS) the cpp/h files, and creates
an 'empty' target => VC7 .prj.

iii) Have a top level target (on .sln only) with custom target calling
external top level makefile.

I'm stuck on step ii) - the only way to generate .prj files seems to use
ADD_LIBRARY/ADD_EXECUTABLE which results in normal lib/exe target.

A second problem is that if I do create projects in step ii) manually
via VC7's NewProject -> C++ Proj -> General -> Makefile Project, then
each of these makes a call to 'make' when a build all is done. I'd like
just a single target/call to make regardless of what user tries to build
in solution tree.

Does this make any sense? Is it vaguely possibly or should I look
elsewhere for a tool to do this?

Thanks

Richard