[CMake] Recent changes to CMake

Jorgen Bodde solidstl at xs4all.nl
Fri Jun 3 13:07:58 EDT 2005

Hi Ken,

Thanks for announcing it. Ok I guess I will post some more details about
the wxWidgets version CMakeSetup.

It is ported from the original MFC CMakeSetup.exe, and runs native on
linux, MacOS (we are testing this now) and Win32. I assume other
platforms like HP-UX and the likes will be no problem as well.

New features are;
- The log area that was the status bar in the original CMakeSetup, is
now a multi line edit control that will scroll the progress for you.
This has advantages because errors and messages are shown here too, and
not in a popup window
- Normal messages are printed in blue, errors are printed in red, and
status messages in black, making it easy to spot those debug messages ;-)
- A nice progress dialog is shown while generating so you know it is busy..
- The cache area is a grid now. Options (ON/OFF) are checkboxes for easy
editing.
- File entries (e.g) that point to a file are green of color so you know
it is a file
- Directory entries are blue of colour
- NOTFOUND entries are bold, making them easy to spot
- The dropdown in the build list is replaced with a most recent used
list, which is more logical towards the beginning user, because the
sequence ofcourse is that you look at where the source code is first anyway
- I added a search query window. This will narrow down the results in
the cache area. Very handy if you want to filter out some of your own
entries
- The generator cannot be changed after building cache. Only cleaning
cache will allow you to change it again
- A menu bar is added, with an options dialog as well
- An about box is added
- The description of the cache item is also printed in a seperate text
area, so the descriptions can be quite long now without falling off the
window
- The OK button is renamed to Generate, I know old die hard CMake people
do know what it means, but for new people having an OK button, is less
transparent. What does it OK? And why does it quit?
- The default behaviour is now that CMake won't quit when generating, it
displays a success message
- This behaviour can be supressed by selecting "Quit after generating"
in the options dialog
- Grey altered cache items will become red again (to indicate changes)
- Ignored items will become light grey of colour
- And some more ;-)

Here are some pictures of CMakeSetup on Win XP:

Start of CMAKE when running:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/win32-cmake-start.png

The progress dialog:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/win32-cmake-configure.png

The search query:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/win32-cmake-searchquery.png

After configuring:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/win32-cmake-afterconfig.png

All grey, ready to generate:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/win32-cmake-allgrey.png

Linux versions of the CMakeSetup GUI:

The progress (don't mind the text artefact it is due to the screenshot
being taken when it was updated);
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/linux-cmake-progress.png

After cofigure;
http://www.xs4all.nl/~jorgb/cmake/linux-cmake-first-it.png

I hope people will like it, I know it is a good thing to have a
graphical version for linux also :-)

- Jorgen