[CMake] statically linking libstdc++ problem.

christopher at baus.net christopher at baus.net
Wed Jun 1 02:45:41 EDT 2005

I've run into a problem where users are not able to run my binary on
certain versions of Linux that don't have the same version of libstdc++
that I used to build the executable.  My plan was to statically link
libstdc++, but I believe it is impossible with gcc unless glibc is
statically linked which causes problems domain resolution.  The problem is
explained in detail here; http://www.upl.cs.wisc.edu/~psilord/blog/2.html

The only solution I've come up with is to call collect2 (the undocumented
gcc linker) directly.  I'm at a loss trying to find a way to do this
cleanly with CMake, and I was hoping one of the gurus here could help me
out.

Christopher Baus