[CMake] How to make output of ctest verbose

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Thu Dec 29 15:00:46 EST 2005

Neumann, Jan wrote:
> I am CMake,CTest with VS7 2003 NET at the moment. I saw that ctest can be run in a verbose mode where it does not suppress the output of the testing executable. Is there a way to control the verbosity level of ctest if I run it using the RUN_TESTS target (perhaps by setting a variable in the
> CMakeLists.txt file)?

Currently you can do it by editing the custom command in the RUN_TESTS
target to add arguments to the ctest command line, but these changes
will be overwritten the next time CMake re-generates the project.

When using the makefile generator one can do

make test ARGS="-V"

to run tests in verbose mode, or even

make test ARGS="-V -R some-specific-test"

to run only certain tests.  Having an equivalent in the VS generators is
a good idea, but I'm not sure how the information would be specified by
the user other than by changing what is generated at CMake time.

You can submit a feature request here:

http://www.cmake.org/Bug

-Brad