[CMake] Re: CMake Marketing

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Dec 23 08:13:16 EST 2005

At 06:15 AM 12/23/2005, E. Wing wrote:
>> With SCons, you run scons from the command line.  SCons does not use nmake,
>> make or any other tool.  It performs the build directly, so there is
>> no IDE support.
>
>So I'm still trying to get a picture in my head of this. The SCons web
>page has the following bullet point:
>Built-in support for Microsoft Visual Studio .NET and past Visual
>Studio versions, including generation of .dsp, .dsw, .sln and .vcproj
>files.
>
>So how does this work? You run SCons from the command line. They
>create a .sln, but when you double click it, what happens? Does the
>normal VS IDE pop up or does it go open a console window and start
>building? Is the IDE full of the normal stuff a VS user would expect
>to see, or is it completely empty with some kind of script phase that
>invokes Python/Scons?

I think it generates a project with all the sources, but then when you run
build on the project it actually runs scons via an nmake makefile.  So, you
can run the debugger, and build from the IDE.  You can not view
things like build flags for objects or libraries from the GUI.  You can not
for example, right click on a source file, and have it preprocessed.
However, I did not realize that they had this feature when I wrote the
original email.

-Bill