[CMake] CMake Marketing

Prakash Punnoor prakash at punnoor.de
Thu Dec 15 03:53:15 EST 2005

Am Donnerstag Dezember 15 2005 02:12 schrieb Brandon J. Van Every:

> SCons is a near competitor of CMake.  When I was shopping for a better

> Studying the strengths and weaknesses of SCons is going to be important
> though.  It sits in a similar ecological niche and is most likely to eat
> CMake's lunch.
>
> The main downsides I've had with CMake while learning it over the past 2
> months have been:
>
> - incomplete documentation.  This is a big problem.  It's only because

100% agreement. Though I like CMake a lot and got the project files ready as
secondary build system  for OpenAL and Alut (www.openal.org) - documentation
for beginners plainly suck. What is called "documentation" is a reference,
which is nice for people who already know how to properly use CMake. But
there is nothing nice for beginners. Yes, I know about the tutorial, but it
is too basic. Take a look at SCons documentation/tutorial. This is something
I would have liked to have when I started with CMake.

There are tons of undocumented stuff, no place where the modules are listed
and how they are to be used. So in the end one has to check up each module
and find out what it does - not very user-friendly.

It is nice the CMake evolves, but it would be better if the documentation
would do the same...

Cheers,
--
//\ Prakash Punnoor /\\