[CMake] CMake Marketing

Miguel A. Figueroa-Villanueva miguelf at msu.edu
Wed Dec 14 14:53:30 EST 2005

> I think wider use of CMake would be beneficial to CMake's user base.

I firmly agree and I appreciate the fact that the CMake developers are
conscious about this.

> So, if you have any ideas along these lines, please let me know.

I learned of CMake through VXL. But I didn't hesitate to install and use
it because it was easy to see the utility of such a tool. However, I
think what really impresses me the most is the combination of
CMake/CTest and particularly the dashboards for CMake, VTK, VXL, etc.
I'm amazed to see that it isn't adopted more often. Are there
competitive alternatives to the dashboard for open-source projects?

Anyway, I think that if somehow proper information was disseminated to
developers and they were presented how easy it is to use CMake, as well
as create, run, and report tests using CTest/Dart, it would be hard to
resist the temptation to try it.

So, I guess my point is that given the fact that there are other,
apparently (i haven't tried them) similar, tools like CMake exist (e.g.,
Jam, BJam, SCons, ...), it might be a good idea to stress the advantages
in context with CTest/Dart.

Hope this helps.

--Miguel