[CMake] MSYS and CMake placeholder

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Mon Dec 12 09:09:29 EST 2005

At 03:00 AM 12/10/2005, Brandon J. Van Every wrote:

>- MSYS core developer philosophy is indeed minimal, and archives suggest they will adamantly oppose anyone's attempt to turn it into another Cygwin.  However, the main purpose of MSYS is to run the GNU autoconf toolchain.  Since CMake's purpose is to provide something autoconf-like that is truly cross-platform, it may be strategically valuable to court these guys and get them to endorse first class CMake support.

I think CMake and MSYS do play together well.   If you run CMakeSetup from the command line
of an MSYS prompt and select Unix Makefiles, then things work as expected.  Makefiles are
created with the MSYS compiler tool chain, and you run make from MSYS to build.  The resulting
executable is a native windows executable which is the goal of MSYS.  Building an MSYS executable
would be making it more like another cygwin which they do not want.

Anyway, I would like to put this email on the list so that people know how to run CMake from
MSYS.  This is very similar to running cmake on UNIX, accept CMakeSetup is used instead of ccmake,
and on Windows, CMakeSetup is a better choice.

-Bill