[CMake] impossible to order the linker search path

William A. Hoffman billlist at nycap.rr.com
Fri Dec 2 08:37:09 EST 2005

At 08:36 AM 12/2/2005, Philip Batchelor wrote:
>Hi
>
>I am trying to install a vtk-5 (from cvs), on a freshly built gentoo linux machine. It compiles without wrapping,
>but when I toggle Python wrapping in CMake, cmake fails with this message:
>
>'It is impossible to order the linker search path in such a way that libraries specified as full paths will be
>picked by the linker.
>Directories and libraries involved are:
>Directory: /usr/X11R6/lib contains:
>Library: /usr/lib/libutil.so
>Library: /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a'
>
>The only mention I could see in Google is in a bug tracker from vtk
>http://www.vtk.org/Bug/bug.php?op=show&bugid=2179&pos=19
>but I don't see what the solution is meant to be, and the problem seems to be from cmake.
>
>Has anyone got a suggestion for diagnostic?

This should just be a warning, although you may not get the libraries you specified.
Does it build anyway?

The problem is you have given full paths to the libraries:
>/usr/lib/libutil.so, and /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a'

However, one or both of those libraries is also in /usr/X11R6/lib.
My guess is that libutil.so is in both /usr/lib/libutil.so and
/usr/X11R6/lib.   Does this library show up in your CMakeCache.txt?

-Bill