[CMake] Compilation failure req'd for successful test

Walter E Brown wb at fnal.gov
Tue Apr 26 10:54:32 EDT 2005

Hello,

As part of a project's testing, we need to ensure that a compilation
failure will correctly occur under specific circumstances.  In
particular, we wish at ctest time:

   - to compile (but not link) a specific program that we expect to fail
compilation, then

   - to capture the detailed output of that compilation into a file, and
then

   - to run some other program (perhaps a tool like grep or perhaps a
custom script) that inspects that attempted compilation's output for
certain characteristics of interest, and finally

   - to indicate the success or failure of the test based on the results
of such inspection.

Alas, it is unclear to us how to set this up; neither the book nor the
online help seem on point.  Can someone advise us, preferably with
sample cmake/ctest code that we can use as a model?

Thank you.

-- WEB