[CMake] Why would I be interested in Cmake over regular 'make'?

Matt England mengland at mengland.net
Tue Apr 19 13:50:05 EDT 2005

Hello,

I'm new to this community, and I'm sure this is a FAQ, but I looked all
over the website and have yet to find an explicit answer to this question:

Why would I be interesed in Cmake over just using my standard Makefiles
with GNU's make?

I write a lot of complex, powerful Makefiles, and I don't yet see a need to
change.  My group has also used some of the auto-build/makefile-generation
stuff in Eclipse, with varying success.

I'm basically asking:  what makes Cmake special?  What can it do that the
others can't?

I'm not all that thrilled about GUI front ends (it's nice, but it doesn't
seem to do much for me), so I'm looking for more "substance," if you will.

I would think every software-build-manager would have the same question(s)...?

-Matt