[CMake] A beginner's question about Creating CMakeLists files for an existing VC++6 project

Henry Joye henryjoye at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 28 11:09:21 EDT 2004

Hi, there,

I am new to CMake. I am now using Visual C++ 6.0 and
want to create CMakeLists.txt files for my existing
VC++6 compiled project.

My original project is like this:

1. Folder structure:
My project has several subfolders and each folder
implements different functions. The file in one folder
may depend on one file in another folder (i.e. include
files from another folder). For summary, the structure
is like this:

RootDir\
       \main -->this folder contains the main file for
the project. This folder uses Coin and SoQt Library.

       \basics --> this folder provides basic
functions used by other folders.

       \volEditor --> this folder provides Qt based
dialogs (.ui files) and their derived classes. This
folder uses Coin and SoQt Library.

       \volFunc  --> this folder contains the main
functions used by other folders (e.g. \volEditor,
\basics, and \main). This folder uses Coin and SoQt
Library. I also add ITK based functions in this
folder.

       \util  --> this folder provides other useful
functions used by all folders.

2. I use Coin3D, SoQt, Qt, and ITK libraries in my
project.

My problem is:
1. How to begin to write CMakeLists.txt files for each
folder?

2. How to process linked libraries (Coin3D,SoQt,) in
CMakeLists.txt files?

3. How to process the inter-depency of different
folders in CMakeLists.txt files?

I am a beginner to CMake. Would anyone be kind to show
me some of the example CMake files for my case?

Thanks a lot for your help.

Joye