[CMake] Patch: Unix out-of-source build extension

Brad King brad.king at kitware.com
Mon Sep 27 14:37:38 EDT 2004

Andrey wrote:
> I work in XEmacs (FreeBSD) and out-of-source build is usefull, but
> still cryptic for edit-and-compile, because Makefiles lives in some
> "build" directory.

Thanks for the patch, but as you can imagine we are very hesitant about
generating anything into the source tree.  It makes having more than one
build tree difficult.

There are other ways to get edit-and-compile to work.  If you are good
at elisp code, you can setup hotkeys in your .emacs file to
automatically find the build tree from the current source tree path
(using a standard naming convention for build trees, for example).

Alternatively, the simple solution is to do this:

M-x compile
Compile command: (cd ~/builds/MyProj-gcc; make -k)

Once you type it the first time you do not have to change it in the same
emacs session.

-Brad