[Cmake] why does clean depend on external targets?

Jan Woetzel jw at mip.informatik.uni-kiel.de
Tue Sep 7 04:19:44 EDT 2004

Hi,
my cmake project MIP depend on a second cmake project BIAS through
"BIASConfig.cmake" using the CMakeImportBuildSettings.cmake macro.
This is correct for compiling.

But the problem is that the clean target of MIP also depends on BIAS
through "cmake.depends".
The result is that I cannot clean MIP if BIAS has been removed.

(1) How can I separate dependencies from a 'clean' target ?

I am using cmake 2.1.0 with make on linux:

Jan.

jw at ana3:/home/jw/build/MIP> make clean
make: *** No rule to make target `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BARConfig.cmake',
needed by `cmake.depends'.  Stop.
<<<

jw at ana3:/home/jw/build/MIP> make -d clean
GNU Make 3.80
Reading makefile `Makefile'...
Reading makefile `cmake.depends' (search path) (no ~ expansion)...
Updating makefiles....
 Considering target file `cmake.depends'.
   Considering target file `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
    File `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake' does not exist.
    Looking for an implicit rule for `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite
`/home/jw/build/BIAS/RCS/BIASConfig.cmake,v'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite `/home/jw/build/BIAS/RCS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite `/home/jw/build/BIAS/s.BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying pattern rule with stem `BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Trying implicit prerequisite
`/home/jw/build/BIAS/SCCS/s.BIASConfig.cmake'.
    No implicit rule found for `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
    Finished prerequisites of target file
`/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
   Must remake target `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake'.
make: *** No rule to make target `/home/jw/build/BIAS/BIASConfig.cmake',

--

  Dipl.-Ing. Jan Woetzel
  University of Kiel
  Email jw at mip.informatik.uni-kiel.de