[CMake] using cmake for mozilla tree?

Gerrit P. Haase gerrit at familiehaase.de
Thu Nov 11 07:44:56 EST 2004

William A. Hoffman wrote:
> At 01:17 PM 11/9/2004, Gerrit P. Haase wrote:
>

>>Nothing special, it is just that they use their own handcrafted Makefile
>>system and have just partially converted to autoconf.
>>
>>We want to port Gnome to Cygwin and there are several packages
>>requiring mozilla, eg. the help system browser will require the mozilla
>>engine in future.
>

> Does that mean Gnome will use cmake?

Gnome is very portable with its build system, they use automake /
autoconf /libtool which is ok with me and with Cygwin, but Mozilla
doesn't use automake or libtool, they use (partially) autoconf.  I have
problems with this, I need to manually edit all the Makefiles in
subdirectories where autoconf is not used.  I cannot believe that it
works on other platforms, however they release new builds quite often,
so probably the build makers have a lot of local havcks in their trees
which is not in the repository.

I want to build Mozilla, I have it already running, but there are
problems when I want to build eg. just firefox, I have problems with
including the security parts because this is one of the subdirectories
where no autoconf is used, and as soon as make arrives at this directory
it barfs at me with error, 'cannot find bla' and so on.

It is a mess, at least the whole tree should be converted to one system,
so it would probably work for me too if they would use autoconf in all
separate projects included in the tree.

At least I have a version of GTKMozEmbed now which will work for Gnome,
however having Mozilla as full featured browser application would be
nice.  I think it is even faster than the native Windows port when
running on Cygwin/X!

Gerrit
--
=^..^=