[Cmake] "make install" fails - new release of CMake?

Hans Fredrik Nordhaug hansfn at mi.uib.no
Fri Jul 2 03:06:37 EDT 2004

On Thu, Jul 01, 2004 at 04:25:13PM -0400, Andy Cedilnik wrote:
> Hi Hans,
>
> I tried with CMake 2.0.2 and make install works fine. I tried executable
> and library and they both works. What version of CMake are you using?

I'm also running CMake 2.0.2, on Windows XP Pro using Mingw. Minimal
CMakeLists.txt:

SET (LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH "")
SET (EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH "")
INSTALL_FILES( "/test" FILES "CMakeLists.txt" )

Running CMake generates cmake_install.cmake containing

MESSAGE(STATUS "Installing /usr/local/test/CMakeLists.txt")
FILE(INSTALL DESTINATION "/usr/local/test" TYPE FILE FILES
"C:/GNU/MSYS/1.0/home/CMakeLists.txt")
FOREACH(file ${CMAKE_INSTALL_MANIFEST_FILES})
  FILE(APPEND "C:/GNU/MSYS/1.0/home/install_manifest.txt" "${file}\n")
ENDFOREACH(file)

Running "make install":

Building installation install...
Running cmake script file cmake_install.cmake
-- Installing /usr/local/test/CMakeLists.txt

But nothing is installed in /usr/local/test. Then I tried:

cmake -DCMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX:PATH="/usr/local" -G"Unix Makefiles"
make

Then running "make install" returns:

Building installation install...
Running cmake script file cmake_install.cmake
-- Installing C:/MSYS/local/test/CMakeLists.txt

and it work!! Since "/usr/local" is the default I find this very strange.
It seems "/usr/local" is expanded to "C:/MSYS/local" *only* when adding it as a
variable on the command line. This worked in CMake 1.8.3.

Anyway, I found my work-around so I don't need to fetch CMake for CVS :-)

Regards,
Hans