[Cmake] Consistency between VS6 and NMake

hvanderpool at xn-tech.com hvanderpool at xn-tech.com
Mon, 9 Feb 2004 12:10:34 -0800

Has anyone else tried to generate identical builds between VS6 and NMake?
This surfaced because I am using CMake to do overnight builds and testing
using NMake generator.  Debug builds generate comparably sized executables,
within a couple of bytes.  The release and MinSizeRel configurations are
very different but in each case, the release is smaller than the debug and
the MinSizeRel even smaller.  However, VS6 builds are quite a bit smaller,
25-30%.  More importantly, the NMake builds run irregularly in our
communication code where the VS6 build runs great.  As you know the linker
and compiler are the same so I would expect pretty similar results given
identical flags and libs.  I have been over the makefiles and .dsp files
with a fine tooth comb and the only differences seem very minor.  For
example the makefile explicitly sets the STACK size for the linker.  Has
anyone had this experience before or have any ideas?

Thanks