[Cmake] Re: CMake Apple XCode support?

Eric Wing ewing2121 at yahoo.com
Thu, 22 Apr 2004 12:24:06 -0700 (PDT)

Very interesting approachs you two have...However,
having CMake generate native Xcode projects would
still be the best solution for me. I have to maintain
Windows (multiple compilers), Linux, and FreeBSD
builds in addition to OS X, and I just don't want to
have to muck around with more stuff. Since CMake
already generates native projects for so many other
systems, it seems appropriate to handle Xcode too.

Out of curiosity, does the Xcode using Makefiles
automatically give you access to all the files and do
indexing through the IDE? And is it able to distribute
builds to other computers on the network since Xcode
is not directly managing the dependency information?

As for Applescript, it sounds like an interesting
idea, but I don't know anything about Applescript. And
being bogged down with supporting so many platforms
already, I wouldn't have time to fiddle with it. I
really need a one step solution.

Also, I don't know Applescript well enough to know
this, but will Applescript break if the Xcode UI
designers reorganize or rename some of the menu or
setup interfaces? I think the front-end is more likely
to go through cosmetic changes than the actual file
format. Apple will still have to support legacy file
formats (as they currently do with Project Builder)
for at least awhile, to give developers a chance to
switch. However, the modifications to UI's seem to be
fair game from Apple's recent behavior.

I think building native Xcode support for today's
format would not risk becoming unusable anytime soon.
I think they would have to give developers at least a
year after they hypothetically change it to switch,
but most likely longer.

Thanks,
Eric