[Cmake] Re: Problems with Borland Generator?

John Biddiscombe jbiddiscombe at skippingmouse.co.uk
Wed, 21 Apr 2004 11:57:37 +0100

Thanks Bill,

Of course, it was trouble with my setup - which I expected really, but when
you delete everything - do a clean checkout and rebuild, you have to wonder
at your own incompetence when you still manage to balls it up.

NB. The specific error was caused by the file windows-bcc32.cmake or
whatever its called being missing in the modules/platform directory - the
load of this file is OPTIONAL. I don't think this was too helpful! as it was
missing, the default makefile rules for unix were being pulled in and hence
the make failure.

Once I found this and got normal stuff working I was able to sort out my own
generator, but did turn up an interesting bug? feature? of the Borland
Make...

the makefile might look like this

D:\CMakebuild\vtkDebug\bin\FilteringCxxTests.exe:
$(FilteringCxxTests_SRC_OBJS)
  at echo Building executable
D:\CMakebuild\vtkDebug\bin\FilteringCxxTests.exe...
 Main Rule/Command in here...

FilteringCxxTests.exe: D:\CMakebuild\vtkDebug\bin\FilteringCxxTests.exe

where there's a dummy rule that maps the exe to the full path exe. Borland
make can fail for a reason I don't understand at all, and when I change the
makefile to include this instead

FilteringCxxTests.exe: D:\CMakebuild\vtkDebug\bin\FilteringCxxTests.exe
     at echo "dummy command"

the problem is solved.

This only happens with certain combinations of bcc32.exe, ilink32.exe etc on
the main rule/command line, but why the dummy command should fix it, I
really don't know. If you've ever seen anything like this, then I'd be
interested in knowing why. This was a really hard bug to find.

Anyway...my builds are all working again. Thanks for taking the time to help
out

JB