[Cmake] Various things of no great importance

John Biddiscombe john.biddiscombe at mirada-solutions.com
Mon Jan 27 04:30:04 EST 2003

Bill, Amitha

Having played around with the Find_Library I find that it works OK, so
as long as all the paths are present, everything links fine.
There is still a wrinkle. For example, VTK builds itself by default into
...\VTK\bin and all is well. If you set the library output path to
nothing (ie build everything in its own directory), it fails to link
because the paths are omitted. Probably not serious, but by default new
projects don't get the LIBRARY_OUTPUT_PATH and EXECUTABLE_OUTPUT_PATH
set to "${PROJECT_BINARY_PATH}/bin" which (caused me some trouble as
I've recently switched from Borland to msVS and wasn't quite so familiar
with the build process).

Other points in no special order...

1) If (using msVS) you set the build configuration to Debug (and remove
the release etc), the make command line is
....devenv Release project etc
because when you first run cmake it defaults to Debug;Release and
inserts a release build command for "make"
I couldn't work out why my builds were stopping without doing anything.

2) Command line params. Is there a way of adding "file1 file2 etc" to an
executable command (console app) line from CMAKE, something like
SET_TARGET_PROPERTIES (exe_name COMMAND_LINE_PARAMS "file1 file2 etc")
Because each time I rebuild my solution from cmake, this gets
overwritten in visual studio.

3) I can't remember what this one was, but I will later I'm sure.

Thanks

JB